Dog Ate Candy Wrapper: What Should I Do?

|5 min read

Ever caught your furry friend red-pawed, surrounded by Halloween candy wrappers, with a guilty look that's hard to ignore? It's a common scene in many households, but have you ever wondered why our dogs are so drawn to those crinkly, colorful wrappers?

In this article, we're going to explore why this seemingly harmless habit might cause a great deal of harm to your dog's health.

Let's unravel the health risks of ingesting a candy wrapper for your dog and discover what other things you should keep from your dog.

Signs Your Dog Has Eaten a Candy Wrapper

If your furry friend eats Halloween treats along with their wrapper, keep a close eye on any changes. Pets usually gobble up candy without bothering to remove the wrappers.

For pet parents whose cat or dog indulged in candy, paying attention to the type of candy consumed, the estimated amount eaten, and whether the wrapper was also ingested is important.

If your pet did eat the wrapper, be on the lookout for these signs:

  1. Throwing up

    If your pet throws up after eating candy, it might mean their tummy is upset from something in the candy or wrapper. Vomiting is like the body's way of getting rid of stuff that could be harmful. Pay attention to how often they throw up, what it looks like, and its color. If it keeps happening or looks weird, it's important to take them to the vet. This helps make sure they stay healthy and feel better soon.

  2. Reduced appetite

    Something is wrong if your dog has a reduced appetite after eating candy wrappers. This behavior change could indicate that the candy upset their stomach or made them uncomfortable.

    Monitoring your pet closely is important, and if this behavior continues or you notice other concerning signs, it's best to consult with a vet for guidance on how to get your pet back to its healthy eating habits.

  3. Tiredness

    If your pet becomes unusually tired or lethargic after possibly ingesting a candy wrapper, it could suggest discomfort or internal issues. Monitoring for other symptoms is important; if tiredness persists or other concerning signs arise, consulting with a vet is vital for a proper evaluation.

  4. Struggling while pooping

    Keep an eye on their poop, too. If the wrapper is small, your pet might pass it during digestion. Yet, depending on your pet's size and the wrapper's size, a candy wrapper could lead to a serious emergency by causing a dangerous blockage.

    Vets warn that foil or cellophane wrappers can result in a bowel obstruction, potentially requiring surgery. While X-rays and a visit to the emergency vet might be needed for diagnosis, there's also a chance that a candy wrapper could stick to your pet's stomach lining, making it tricky to identify since it doesn't always show up on X-rays.

Health Risks When a Dog Eats Candy

When your dog eats candy, act quickly and take your dog to an emergency clinic. If your dog is throwing up a lot, acting confused, shaking, having seizures, excessive diarrhea, or abdominal pain, you need to get emergency care. If you wait too long, your dog could have more health problems and be really bad.

The problems from eating something bad can include - Low Blood Sugar, which can make the liver fail. In some cases, it might cause kidney failure.

Paralysis can also occur to you, which may leave your dog unable to move. Sometimes, your dog can also get anemia, which is bad for your dog's health.

So, if your dog shows any of these signs, don't wait. Go to the vet right away. The vet can help fix the problems and ensure your dog gets better.

Things to Keep Away from Dogs

Our canine companions are loved members of our families, bringing joy and warmth into our lives. As responsible pet owners, creating a safe environment is crucial. We must be aware of items that can harm their health and well-being.

  1. Xylitol

    In some sugar-free candy, chewing gum, and certain candy corn brands is an ingredient called xylitol, also known as sugar alcohol. This is bad for dogs. If they eat it, it can make them have seizures, and in really serious cases, it might even cause death in severe cases. 

    Keeping candy corn away from your dog is extremely important. If they accidentally eat them, especially the sugar-free ones, you must call the vet immediately.

  2. Chocolate

    Even with a little chocolate ingestion, they might throw up or have a runny tummy. But if they eat a lot, it can be super bad for them. Too much chocolate can make their heart go crazy, cause bleeding inside, and make them shake or have seizures.

    Whether it's milk chocolate, dark chocolate, or baking chocolate, make sure you keep it away from your dog. If they eat some, especially a lot, you need to call the vet immediately. They'll help you figure out what to do and ensure your dog gets better.

    Remember, even a little bit of chocolate candy for a dog can be a big problem, so it's best to play it safe and not share your sweets with them.

  3. Nuts and raisins

    Raisins could be bad for your dog. If they eat them, it could hurt their kidneys a lot. Also, if pets eat candy with nuts and raisins in them, it could really hurt them. Some nuts, like macadamias and walnuts, can cause seizures or damage their brains.

    So, it's best to keep these treats away from your dog. If they accidentally eat them, it's important to call the veterinarian immediately. Raisins can hurt their kidneys, and certain nuts can cause serious problems.

    The vet can help determine what to do and ensure your dog stays healthy. Always be careful with what your dog eats, and if you're unsure, check with the vet to be safe.

  4. Candy wrappers

    If your dog eats a candy wrapper, they might be able to get it out when they poop, but it could be uncomfortable for them. Sometimes, though, a candy wrapper can lead to a big problem called a bowel obstruction. This means the wrapper might get stuck and block their stomach or intestines.

    If you think your dog ate a candy wrapper, it's important to keep an eye on them. If they show signs of pain, loss of appetite, or have trouble going to the bathroom, you should call the vet.

Final Words

While the image of our dog eating candy wrappers may seem innocent, the potential health issues should not be overlooked.

From the risks associated with ingesting certain candy ingredients to the possibility of serious complications arising from the consumption of wrappers, it becomes evident that pet owners need to be vigilant.

The consequences of dogs eating candy wrappers go beyond a mere stomachache; they can lead to painful conditions like bowel obstructions or, in the case of certain candies, even pose life-threatening risks.

Swift action is crucial, whether addressing the toxicity of certain candy ingredients or dealing with the physical hazards of ingesting wrappers.

So, the next time your dog eats Halloween candy, you know what to do.

Back to blog
1 of 4
Back to blog